About Signature Sanctuary Certification
Audubon International's elite Signature Sanctuary Certification is for new or renovating golf courses, resorts, and communities. This certification involves comprehensive environmental planning with architects, owners, managers and key stakeholders to ensure sustainable design, construction and long-term management of your property.
Through this certification your efforts will be verified by science based environmental monitoring, which provides site specific results that showcase your efforts and indicate if there is an imbalance in your local ecosystem.
There are four levels of Signature Sanctuary Certification all of which include your open space, landscaped areas, and maintenance facility and can optionally add clubhouses, lounges, and lodging.
Make the Environment Part of Your Plan
The certification process includes:
- Initial site assessment visit & site plan reviews
- Monthly reporting
- Development & approval of Natural Resource Management Plan
- Final environmental audit & site visit
What is the cost?
$15,500 USD to register which includes two site visits (excluding travel expenses), all Audubon International labor through certification, and first year membership fee.* There is a $950 membership fee each year thereafter and an $1,000 recertification site visit fee every three years.**
*Base fee for a single 18-hole golf course in North America (bronze, silver, gold level). International, multi-part projects and platinum level projects will receive a customized proposal.
**Additional site visits are available at $1,000/day plus travel expenses
"We have always shared Audubon International's philosophy that nature and golf can coexist in a shared environment. At Oitavos, we worked hand in hand to achieve this balance and found in many cases that Audubon International habitat requirements enhanced the beauty and intrigue of the golf experience. It's certainly a win-win situation for everyone."
- J. Drew Rogers, ASGCA, Golf Course Architect
Quinta la Marinha Oitavos Golfe
Benefits of Membership
Pursuing Audubon International Certification saves you money and conserves natural resources. A recent survey of Signature and Classic Sanctuary Certification members demonstrated that:
- 90% of respondents reported that their annual maintenance and operations costs for their facility were either “lower than” or the “same as” the costs of an equivalent, non-Signature Sanctuary member property.
- 90% stated that their certified Audubon International Signature Sanctuary status has or will have value in their marketing and promotional efforts.
- 96% view their participation in the Signature Sanctuary Certification as “a good business decision.”
- 63% of respondents stated that their participation has or will save money, as compared to a course designed, constructed, and managed without Audubon International assistance.
- Almost half of respondents feel that their operations and maintenance costs are lower due to their participation in the Signature Sanctuary Certification track.
Additional benefits of Audubon International's Signature Sanctuary certification includes:
“Green appeal” marketing edge - Pursue a market advantage by attracting people looking for green developments in which to live and play. Environmental Certification offers a distinct marketing edge over your competition–leading to increased or faster sales, increased sales prices or member fees, and lower marketing and holding costs.
Cost savings - Through certification, you’ll learn and put into practice cost-effective ways to develop, operate, and maintain your property…thus saving money and natural resources.
Reduced risk - Establishing and following your Natural Resource Management Plan (NRMP) reduces the risk and potential liability of using hazardous materials while also reducing the potential for on- and off-site pollution. Reduced risks in turn lower insurance, worker’s compensation costs, potential for adverse regulatory action and harmful publicity, and lost worker time.
Recognition for environmental leadership - Gain recognition for your leadership. As a certified Signature Sanctuary your property is a model for environmental stewardship and sets an example for other landowners and managers, consultants, and your surrounding community.
Environmental protection and enhancement - Audubon International Signature Sanctuaries take great pride in doing their part to further sustainable resource management. Join today to protect and preserve the environment for future generations.