Date: March 2016
Title: Member Services Manager
Work Location: Rensselaer Technology Park, Troy, NY
The Member Services Manager provides critical member services support to all AI programs, including: the Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program (ACSP), the ACSP for Golf, the Signature/Classic Program, the Green Lodging Program, and the Sustainable Communities Program. The position assists with a variety of functions including: communicating with stakeholders about the benefits of membership; serving as the primary point of contact for general questions about membership; developing and executing membership outreach, growth and retention strategies; mailing membership packets; managing the organization's membership databases; generating/tracking invoices; serving as a spokesperson for the organization in various venues, answering calls from the public; representing AI at conferences, meetings, and events.
This is a full-time exempt position.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Answer general public inquiries by phone or email and transfer to appropriate program management staff or external party contacts;
- Assist the Director of Advancement and program management personnel in the development and implementation of membership sales and retention efforts and in the maintenance of AI's relationships with property management companies, members, and prospects;
- Produce monthly membership reports, and develop tools to track and report on membership trends;
- Prepare and mail information and certification packets to members;
- Manage the administration of certification requests including filing, listing and creating certificates;
- Generate invoices and coordinate monthly mailings;
- Maintain mailing machine and related equipment.
Database Management and Recordkeeping
- Enter and maintain contact information and other data in an electronic database;
- Maintain "Members Only" area of the official website and ensure all members are able to access it;
- Maintain up-to-date electronic and physical member files in conjunction with program staff;
Business Office Assistance
- Process checks and enter payments into the database;
- Accept credit card payments over the phone and screen online orders to be processed;
- Keep inventory of products and educational materials and reorder as needed.
Membership recruitment and retention
- Develop relationships with local, regional, and national (and international where possible and feasible) golf leaders and superintendents with the specific goal of retaining current members and recruiting new members.
- On behalf of AI, attend regional meetings, conferences, and/or trade shows, and deliver presentations as needed and/or assigned.
- Develop familiarity and relationships with leaders and members in all AI program areas, in collaboration with AI program directors.
- Coordinate efforts to re-engage lapsed members by engaging in, and directing other staff to assist with, calls to recently lapsed members.
- A bachelor's degree in an appropriate field of study and at least 3 years of related professional experience. (Master's degree in an appropriate field of study may be substituted for two years of professional experience.)
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and experience working with diverse constituencies and membership demographics
- Ability to excel both by working independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Self-starter with attention to detail and results-oriented personality
- Articulate, diplomatic, and able to work constructively and deftly under pressure
- Must be genuinely passionate about the organization's mission
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities
- Computer proficiency (i.e., Microsoft Office suite, database management, internet-based research, professional applications of social media); Proficiency with Wild Apricot is highly desirable
- Knowledge of and/or professional experience in golf course management is desirable
The person in this position must be able to:
- Remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
- Occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Regularly ascends/descends stairs to access office equipment.
- Frequently communicate with members and interested parties who have inquiries, and exchange accurate information in these situations.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Deadline for Application: Open until filled.
How to Apply:
Submitted applications will be reviewed upon receipt and must include the following:
- Cover letter summarizing the candidate’s qualifications for the position, including a description of how prior educational training, experience and skills prepare the candidate to fulfill the job responsibilities detailed above.
- Curriculum vitae or resume.
- Contact information (name, job title, phone and email) for three professional references
- Application materials should be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com with the job title and your name in the subject line (i.e., Program Specialist – Jane Smith).
Audubon International is an equal opportunity employer committed to practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.